Digital Marketing 101
Even now at a time when internet marketing is no longer new, some are still not sure of what it truly is and how it can help their businesses. To help you on that, let me share the what’s and why’s of digital marketing.
What is internet marketing? How do you define it? Well, according to Wikipedia’s description, “it is the marketing and general promotion of products and services over the internet.”
It is also known as web marketing, online marketing, e-marketing, and more commonly known in the Philippines as “digital marketing”.
Digital marketing includes everything connected to the internet:
- Regular computer
- Smart phones and wireless devices
- Mobile apps
- Internet tv
The 3 Pillars of Internet Marketing are:
- Lead Generation – getting people to “see” your business and gain their interest.
- Conversion – Turning these visitors to customers by closing a sale.
- Follow up – follow them up for any repeat purchases.
These three are important to really have a successful online business. You need people to see your business/products in order to gain interest and customers. You need followers who you can turn into clients and for these clients to come back and purchase again.
Why do you need Digital Marketing?
- Your target customers are in the internet. – There are 2.8 Billion Internet users as of July, 2013 according to internetLiveStats.com.
- Social media and the internet affects offline and online behavior
- It’s no longer an option, it’s a requirement – This is especially true for professionals and entrepreneurs.
It’s not enough to just have an awesome website and post ads. Right now, you need to find out where your target audience is hanging out online and engage them there. Most of the people online are looking for information and engage with people. So don’t sell online, build relationships instead.
Meanwhile, here are some of the programs I personally use in my digital marketing efforts for my online business. These are also what I recommend other entrepreneurs on tapping in order to get the most out of their online marketing.
- Website – this provides credibility as a business as well as Search engine visibility. When your target audience search for you online, they can easily find you.
- Blog – the easiest and cheapest way to engage with your target audience
- Social Media Marketing – use all available social media networks.
- Search Engine Optimization – it’s a process of making your website rank in the search engines based on certain keywords. Remember that Google is the new directory. People go to Google to find out who offers the best product and services.
- Search and PPC Advertising – these are the most popular online advertising.
- Email Marketing – this is still the highest converting channel if done right.
- Blogger and Influencer Marketing – it is when you engage with influencers and thought leaders to promote and improve your brand’s visibility online. It’s all about building relationships online.
Digital marketing is an integral component in a successful business. In a world where everyone is in the Internet, you can’t ignore the fact you need to be present there as well. Learn more about this topic on this webinar replay.