Smart Insights has established the fact you need a digital plan to support your organization’s digital transformation. In an informal poll they ran back in 2012 and 2013, they found how widely formal digital strategies were used. Results showed that around two-thirds to three quarters of respondents don’t have a digital plan. Also, many of them were already doing digital marketing without any prioritized plan of activities to ensure the success of online marketing.
Fast forward to 2014, the latest research suggested an improvement when it comes to planning. Only fewer than half doesn’t have a digital strategy. To those who have figured out their digital strategy, Congratulations!
However, not everyone seems to realize they need a digital channel strategy. In case you are one of those entrepreneurs, here are reasons why you need to start considering a strong digital marketing strategy for your online business:
- You’re directionless – Without a digital strategy, your company lack clear strategic goals on what you want to achieve online. These goals can be to gain new customers or to build better relationships with existing ones. When you don’t have goals, you won’t be able to put your resources to reach new targets and you won’t evaluate results through analytics.
- You won’t know your online market share – You need to understand your online marketplace. The dynamics is very different compared to traditional channels such as different types of customer profile and behaviour, competitors, propositions and options for marketing communications.
- Existing and start-up competitors will gain market share – If you’re not devoting enough resources to your own digital marketing strategies or have not defined them yet, then your competitors will likely take advantage of that.
- You don’t have a powerful online value proposition – A clear and defined online customer value proposition will separate your brand. Also, it will encourage loyalty among your existing and new customers.
- You don’t know your online customers well enough – Sure Google Analytics can help you measure the volume of your visitors and followers. However, it can’t identify your weak points and how to address them.
- You’re not integrated – It’s best to integrate digital media with other traditional media and response channels.
- Digital doesn’t have enough people/budget given its importance – It may prove difficult to respond immediately and effectively to competitive threats because there are insufficient resources focused on planning and executing e-marketing. Also, it is likely that there is a lack of e-marketing specialists.
- You’re wasting money and time through duplication – Be wise with your resources and don’t let them go to waste. This usually happens with large companies where they have different marketing organization purchasing different tools or using different agencies performing similar online marketing tasks.
- You’re not agile enough to catch up or stay ahead – Keep innovating and try new approaches in order to gain and keep your online audiences.
- You’re not optimizing – Once you have all the basics right, you need to make sure there is continuous improvement of the key aspects like search marketing, site user experience, email and social media marketing.
To learn more, you may visit this article from Smart Insights.
You Can’t Shortcut Relationships
Successful internet marketing rely on the relationships we build. It’s not just about selling or offering products. We need to make a connection with our readers and followers. Building relationships take time and like Scott Stratten said, “You can’t shortcut relationships.” There are no shortcuts in building relationships. Just think of your closest and best […]
Love Your Readers To Death!
Blogging is one aspect of digital marketing and has been proven to be very effective. Sharing valuable content helps you connect with your readers. This is what will give you the window of opportunity to engage with them and find out more about their needs. Your readers are your greatest fans and your greatest critics. […]
Share And Engage
These days, we have so many ways and medium to connect that sharing information becomes so easy. Meanwhile, what and how we connect can dictate the amount of influence we have on people. A recommendation can make us while an opinion can break us. With all the information available online, we sometimes don’t know which […]
Keep It Concise And Keep It Meaty
Capturing your audience’s attention can be a challenge at times, but keeping them interested in what you are saying is more difficult. A person’s attention span is getting shorter each year due to the mass of information available to us nowadays. Before, we need to read through piles of books and articles at the library […]
Marketing Is A Contest For People’s Attention
When the word marketing is mentioned, some people link it with promotions and sales. But it is so much more than those concepts. Marketing is about capturing your target audience’s attention long enough for them to listen to what you are saying. Seth Godin explained it better. He said, “Marketing is a contest for people’s […]
Good Content Is Telling A True Story Well
Relevant and valuable content is essential in digital marketing. It is all about the content you share. After all, people go online to search for information. At times, people wonder, what is good content? According to Ann Handley, “Good content isn’t about good storytelling. It’s about telling a true story well.” We can’t just invent […]