The blogging world is a vast community. There are tips after tips on how to blog better and how to capture your readers’ attention online. But let’s avoid the hassle of sifting through more than a hundred thousand tips. Jeff Bulas compiled the tips into one great list, organizing them into several categories such as: structure and composition, search engine optimization, tech stuff, layout, and more.
Let me share 14 of my favorite tips from the list!
- Blog posts can be informational or editorial, detailed or high-level summaries, but not all of the above at the same time.
- To get comments, don’t tell the whole story and end with a question or two.
- Google wants to give highest search visibility to content that is authoritative, relevant, useful, readable and shareable.
- Use WordPress unless you have very good reasons not to.
- Don’t force visitors to log in to leave a comment.
- Blog search, categories, recent posts and the blog archive are essential sidebar components.
- The blog header should convey some idea of what the blog is about, who it’s written for, and why those people should read it.
- Essay form is effective for business blogging, but a great story is even better.
- When you borrow an idea or gain inspiration from it, give credit (and a link) to the source.
- Rather than fretting about hitting a particular word count, say what you have to say and then stop creating.
- Community building takes far more time than writing.
- Responding to comments lets commenters and other readers know you care, which builds loyalty.
- The best way to improve is to read bloggers you admire.
- Be willing to (thoughtfully) violate every one of these tips, because in blogging there are no rules.
Jeff Bulas has 50 one-sentence tips for blogging. View them all here.
You might be asking why out of all the available content management systems out there, I’d recommend WordPress. Well, truth be told, WordPress was intended to only be a blogging platform. But thanks to the changing times and minds of the WordPress community, that changed and it can virtually be anything its users want it […]
5 Sites For WordPress Tips
We are always on the lookout for improvements and how else we can make our blogs better. We often rely on tips and hacks to find the best ways to make sure our WordPress-based blogs up to date. Recently, I found some great resources that would help bloggers to update and improve their WordPress-based websites. […]
Advice For Entrepreneurs – Blog More!
Entrepreneurs are always on the look out of how else they can improve their businesses. Not many of them consider blogging as a driving force behind their business. Seth Godin shared one habit to he recommends to all entrepreneurs, blog daily. “Blogging helps you to be more honest with yourself. It allows you to keep […]
How to Make Money from Blogging?
Working hard is not just the key to success; it’s also about working smart. This is the new mantra. No wonder a lot of people are turning to getting home-based jobs. Success is not just limited to climbing the corporate ladder; it’s enjoying what you do as well as earning from it. One very popular […]
4 Easy Steps To Clean Your WordPress Blog
Spring is upon us, and what better way to kick it off with a little Spring-cleaning. Yes, that means cleaning your WordPress blog too! Just a little sprucing up to make sure your blog functions well all throughout the year. Here are some easy steps to clean your WordPress blog: Unload your unused widgets – […]
Blogging Is About Perfoming Everyday Not Writing One Key Post
We now know that content is king in internet marketing. But how do make sure we are blogging effectively? Aaron Wall, author of the SEO Book Blog, has an opinion about this, “Doing well with blogging is not about writing one key post, it is about performing day after day and helping a few people […]